The Jeep brand unveiled the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee that features an all-new 4.7-liter V-8 engine that delivers a 30 percent increase in horsepower, a 10 percent increase in torque and improved fuel economy compared with the engine it replaces. The 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee also offers a refreshed interior and exterior design and a host of innovative premium amenities, including one not found on other full-size sport-utility vehicles (SUV) on the road today — SIRIUS Backseat TV. The vehicle will arrive at Jeep dealerships starting this fall.
"With a choice of five engines, three four-wheel-drive systems and more premium amenities than ever before, the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee sets the benchmark for full-size SUVs just as it did when it debuted in 1992," said John Plecha, Director – Jeep Brand Marketing and Global Communications. "Now available with SIRIUS Backseat TV, the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee just made road trips or short trips with kids even more enjoyable."
Only Full-Size SUV with Five Engine Offerings.The 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the only vehicle with a choice of five engine offerings:
- 3.0-liter common rail diesel V-6 engine – Now available on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland
- 3.7-liter V-6 engine – Standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
- All-new 4.7-liter V-8 engine – Standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 5.7-liter V-8 HEMI engine – Available on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, standard on Overland
- 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine – Standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
- All-new for 2008 is the 4.7-liter V-8 engine that offers better fuel economy, power and torque than the previous 4.7-liter engine, while at the same time delivering improvements in refinement.
The new 4.7-liter V-8 incorporates two spark plugs per cylinder (the only Chrysler Group engine to do so, other than the 5.7-liter HEMI), increased compression ratio, improved cylinder-head port flow and a new combustion system. The result is 305 horsepower (227kW), a 30 percent increase, and 334 lb.-ft. of torque (453 N•m), a 10 percent increase over the previous 4.7-liter V-8 engine. And, like the engine it replaces, the new 4.7-liter V-8 engine is flex-fuel capable, which gives customers the ability to use up to an 85 percent concentration of ethanol (E85) to fuel their vehicles.
Improvements in the new 4.7-liter V-8 result from significant revisions to the induction system, a lightweight piston/rod assembly and reduced accessory drive noise through lower accessory drive speed. Engine smoothness at idle is enhanced with a new cam design, two spark plugs per cylinder and a valve-lash adjuster system. The new 4.7-liter V-8 also is equipped with electronic throttle control. Via: Jeep Press-release Click here to read the full press-release at TruckTrend.com!